`Originally the main business area was between the Guildhall and North Road but this rapidly spread up the street towards Victoria Gardens with the conversion of domestic properties into shops.
`Many of the businesses were long standing with the proprietors and their families well known in Saltash and the surrounding area.
`Change was slow up to World War II when in the blitz of April 1941 large areas of Fore Street were destroyed including the last Tudor house in the street.
`Rebuilding was slow, particu¬larly on the north side of the street where temporary buildings were erected pending the widening of the road and the redevelopment of everything west of North Road.
`The bottom of Fore Street (now Lower Fore Street) became a backwater when the Waterside was redeveloped and when the road bridge opened in 1961 people no longer walked down Fore Street to catch the ferry or train to Plymouth.
`Many of the well-known names on Fore Street managed to continue in business through this turmoil. Names like Elliott, whose shop is now preserved, Vosper, Cory, Jane and King were also long-standing businesses in the street.
'It is only very recently that three of the longest established names in Fore Street have disappeared: Davy the butchers, Freeman's seed mer¬chants with fruit, vegetables and flowers and, in 2007, Underhill's the chemist.'
Apart from banks the longest-serving shop on Fore Street now is the Co-op and the only build¬ing to retain the same name since 1873 is the Railway Hotel.