A Tale of Retail
150 years of trade in Fore Street
Fore Street is a continually changing and evolving place, as are the businesses that have, over the years, occupied its premises. Originally the main business area was between the Guildhall and North Rd. but, with the conversion of domestic properties into shops, it rapidly spread up the street towards Victoria Gardens. Many of the businesses were long established, with the proprietors and their families well known in Saltash and the surrounding area. Change was slow up to WW11 when, in the blitz of April 1941 large areas of Fore St. were destroyed, including the last Tudor house in the street. Rebuilding was slow, particularly on the North side of the street where temporary buildings were erected, pending the widening of the road and the re-development of everything west of North Rd.
Many of the well-known names on Fore St. managed to continue in business through this turmoil. Names like Elliott, whose shop in now preserved, Vosper, Cory, Jane and King were also long standing businesses in the street. It is only very recently that three of the longest established names in Fore St. have disappeared. Davy the butchers, Freeman’s seed merchants with fruit, vegetables and flowers and in 2007 Underhill’s the chemist.