Street lighting Fore St

Electricity and Street Lighting

Gas Company

 

On February 15th 1915 the Saltash Gas Company recommended to the Council that until a cargo of coal ordered in November arrived the street lighting should only be lit from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.

On March 5th the steam collier "Thordis" arrived with a cargo at Saltash. She achieved fame on her way down the Channel through ramming a German submarine which attacked her. The vessel was placed in dry dock for examination and as a result of the Admiralty report which confirmed the evidence of the captain and crew, it was stated they were entitled to a large sum from the Admiralty and also a large monetary reward offered by a shipping newspaper. Capt. Bell was granted a temporary commission of Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve and was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross.

Electricity


The first electricity supply was started in Saltash was a direct current generator (DC) on premises near the present Drill Hall by the entrance to the Tamar Bridge.

This small generating station had an output of some 120 kilowatts, consumers paid 1/- per unit (5p) for their power. By 1965-66 the average cost per unit of electricity was just over 2d. (less than 1p) with consumers in Saltash Borough is in the region of 4,000, being supplied by sub-stations with a total output capacity of 6,000 kW


In 1928 the Torpoint Electric Company took over, and the first Service Centre was opened next to Vosper's boot and shoe repair shop at the bottom of Fore Street and the junction with North Road. The business here consisted mainly of the payment of accounts, the re­charging of wireless batteries and the sale and servicing of the two major electrical appliances of the day - electric kettles and electric irons.

Later in 1929 they were further taken over by the East Corn­wall Electrical Supply Company. In 1931/32 came the changeover from D.C. to A.C., and an electricity supply was laid on from Plymouth. New premises were acquired in Higher Fore Street. At the rear of these premises the first sub-station was built.

Extensive enlargements and improvements were put in hand at the East Cornwall Power Company's pre­mises in 1936 and included two full display window frontages and the conversion of the rear into offices. Unfortunately, in 1941, severe damage was caused to the premises by German bombers during the blitz.

Following the war, repairs and improvements were carried out, and in 1948, when the industry was nation­alised, the company became a branch of the South Western Electricity Board which carried out an expansion and modernisation programme Since 1947 the demand for electricity has risen at an ever-increasing rate as the town has developed, and the Board had continually been engaged laying cables and building sub-stations to keep up with the demand.

 

On May 27th 1924 at a special meeting of the Council, the committee agreed to accept an estimate for public lighting by electricity. Although they were an improvement on the old gas lamps the light that they provided was pretty dismal.

In the 1950’s new Mazdalux Florescent Street Lighting Lanterns were installed. Each light made up of three 80W 5ft long warm white fluorescent lamps.