Tamar Street was the main business and residential street of the Waterside and has been dominated by Brunel’s Royal Albert Bridge since 1859. The Saltash ferry berthed within feet of the Passage House Inn and at high tide you could step straight from the ramp into the bar.
Originally only wide enough for a single vehicle which was restricted in height by the arch over the road the street. This was one of the reasons put forward for removing the arch; it was argued that emergency vehicles may have trouble with the steep Albert and Culver Roads in bad weather leaving the only viable access via Old Ferry Road
Mary Ann Pope's Cockle Shop - Tamar Street
View along Tamar Street from under the arch of the Passage House Inn
Queen Victoria's Silver Jubilee
The view along Tamar Street from the south, the horse and cart are outside the Tamar Inn on the corner of Tamar Street and Albert Road.
From right to left number 13, 13a and 14 Tamar Street. No. 13 on the corner with Albert road was the ‘Tamar Inn’, for many years a beer house. To the left of the cottages Culver Road can be seen joining Tamar Street, this was the original route of Culver Road. When the Waterside was cleared in the slum clearance of the late 1950’s these were some of the first properties to be demolished.